Last years referendum was “a powerful and deliberate turning our backs on a system that kept us oppressed for years, a system that is still part of our law” as Blindboy from the Rubberbandits said.
I campaigned energetically for that YES vote and believe we need to keep up that momentum to end oppression and the domination of the church. The tremendous victory of the marriage equality referendum demonstrated that the socially conservative silent majority that the mainstream parties have hid behind does not exist. Despite Labour’s much vaunted equality agenda, they have voted against holding a referendum on the 8th amendment and outlawing discrimination against children in access to primary schools.
AAA-PBP stands for:
- Hold a referendum to repeal the 8th Amendment ban on abortion, and legislate for the right to choose.
- Outlaw discrimination against children in access to primary schools on religious grounds and remove faith formation from the mainstream school curriculum.
- Lift the ban on gay and bisexual men giving blood. Work to support real equality for trans people.
- Recognise traveller ethnicity and invest in appropriate housing and facilities
- Separate church and state – properly funded public schools and hospitals, with no church control.